Monday, May 3, 2010

grammar snob

So, I am a self-admitted grammar snob. I cannot stand commonly accepted mistakes such as the improper use of too/to/two, their/they're/there, and, perhaps worst of all, your/you're. I know that I am also capable of typos. I make mistakes too. But I still hate it when people consistently make the same mistakes. Didn't we learn these fundamentals in elementary school?

My co-worker and I often forward each other bad emails that we receive from other office-mates. We all too often mock those who are not as grammatically smart as us. I know, I know...it's rather mean of me. But poor word usage is one of my biggest pet peeves.

Recently, my grammatically wise co-worker sent me a link to this blog. I enjoyed it immensely. If you've ever had a grammar-related pet peeve, I think you'll love this too!

2 comments:

Teeners said...

You have GOT to read the book, "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves." It is hilarious! I am a grammar snob too, and I loved it!

Kinley said...

As I recall, you always did my grammar worksheets in Mrs. I-don't-remember-her-name-but-she-was-our-9th-grade-teacher's class. (Yeah, I just did that for you...) anyway, it actually annoys me as well because I just wonder if they even know what they are saying. For instance, I was reading this post on craigslist yesterday and the person said "I never had no complaints..." now that right there made me question doing business with this individual. Not to judge, but with a double negative in the works, I wonder if he realizes that he has left me with the impression that he has had complaints regularly because he has yet to not receive a complaint. I am just saying...