Tuesday, May 11, 2010

pack rat

I am moving, once again. I have moved pretty much once a year since I started college ten years ago. You'd think, that after this many moves, I would have stream-lined the process and simplified my life. That is not so. My last move (a year ago) was perhaps my largest move yet--in the fact that I filled an entire 15-foot UHaul truck. Wow. How do I accumulate so much stuff?

I have about two weeks until this move will be finalized. So my main goal right now is to simplify.

Simplicity.

According to Leonardo da Vinci, "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." I think he was a pretty smart guy. And I think I could use a little more sophistication/simplicity in my life.

I have always been a pack rat. Even as a child, I saved, hoarded, stored, and treasured junk. Why? I have been blown away by the things I have found in my room. I am finally retiring a certain gray cardigan to DI. This particular cardigan was worn in my junior yearbook photo in high school. It is missing half the buttons. I haven't worn it in at least six years. Yet somehow, this item has made the cut over and over again as I've attempted to clean out my closet many times in the past.

But this time, with this move, I'm determined to truly simplify!

I have been posting and selling unwanted items on the KSL classified ads. Wow! What a great tool that is! I have sold a loveseat, an old TV, and an old camera so far. I have more items to go! How convenient it is to just have someone come to my door, hand me cash, and take my junk away for me. I now have a testimony of KSL classified ads. I'm a believer.

I will be spending every spare moment in the next couple of weeks cleaning, de-cluttering, packing, selling junk, and making DI runs. Whew. But it'll feel so good to have less stuff, right?

2 comments:

Kinley said...

I have been purging my stuff as well! it is very liberating! But I do have a hard time letting some things go... I get too sentimental. But occasionally I get into a mood that I am just edgy and feel a bit claustrophobic and that is when I go through stuff like my baby clothes and what-not. But I am impressed you were able to fill an entire Uhaul! We are moving to Minneapolis and I am trying to not even get a Uhaul, just a trailer. I think we are crazy, but we are pretty much taking our beds, table, clothes, and such. We are just going to buy a new couch out there! Crazy! But it is just another adventure! But good luck with your move! I hope you have nice weather because it is horrible to haul boxes in the rain! And I hope that you only need a 10' truck this time!

Tim, Jennie, Paisley, Claire and Moose said...

Where are you moving too? I like to clean my junk out yearly. It feels so good to get ride of the stuff for me. But I usually end up looking for something later on and the realize I gave it away Ha