Friday, November 6, 2009

My internet has been down at my house and I have not been able to update the blog. Sad! So, I am stealing a few minutes of work time to post.

So, I am currently on DAY THREE of the Master Cleanse! Yeah! No food (or gum, or candy, or mints, or anything) in about 64 hours so far. And the surprising thing?! It's not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Whenever I feel the tiniest of hunger pangs, I just take a swig of my awesome lemonage concoction (that I always have in tote), and voile, I am not hungry any more. It has been totally amazing to me.

I feel like I have more energy, oddly. I guess my body doesn't have to work on digesting anything, so there is ample energy to spare. I usually can't get through the work day without a Diet Coke. Now? Not a problem at all! I even worked out at the gym last night (not a hardcore workout though, because I really don't have many extra calories to burn up at this point).

I have realized so much during these three days.

-Human beings eat out of habit. We eat because it is "lunchtime," whether we're hungry or not--because everyone else is eating, and because it's weird if we don't eat at certain times/

-Eating is very psychological. We THINK we're hungry sometimes when we're really not. If we decide we're NOT hungry, it's easyt o not eat. It goes both ways.

-We eat to comfort ourselves.

-We eat entirely too much food. As proved, we don't need huge portions of food to sustain our energy and feel good and healthy. I am living on very minimal calories, yet I feel like I have MORE energy than I have on my normal diet. Maybe this is because my body isn't clogged full of unhealthy, greasy food?

I really think that my eating habits are going to change a lot after this experience. After I reach day ten of the cleanse, I have to ease food back into my diet slowly and cautiously. Days eleven and twelve will be days of drinking orange juice only, as suggested by the experts. Then days thirteen and fourteen will allow me to eat raw fruits and veggies. After that, I should be good to go on eating whatever I want. But the interesting thing to me during this process is that my cravings are not for greasy fast food or fatty sweets. I am craving very healthy things--like hummus, veggies, salads, etc.

I think that for me, the cleanse has been an awakening of sorts. So far, I feel like I have learned a lot about my body and about how to care for it better. I am glad for that. That's what I was hoping to gain from this experience. And, as a bonus, I have also lost six pounds so far! Not a bad side effect at all.

Seven days to go...

1 comment:

Teeners said...

Good to hear that it's going well! I might have to try it . . .