Wednesday, April 22, 2009

a GREEN tip on earth day

So...in all honesty, I don't do my part to be green. I don't recycle. I sometimes leave lights on. I drive wherever I want to whenever I want to and don't really worry about my gas fumes destroying the o-zone. Oops. Maybe I should be more e-friendly!

But I was excited when I heard of this very simple way to help save a little bit of energy! This was posted on the intranet at my office...

Google has a search engine, blackle.com, that uses less energy than google.com. Here is the info from Nat'l Geographic:

Over the course of the year, energy consumption from personal computers contributes the same amount of greenhouse gas emissions as burning 32 gallons of gasoline.You may not be able to cut back on your web browsing, but your search engine of choice can help cut back on that energy use. Powered by Google, Blackle provides the same search results as google.com but on a blacked-out background, saving over 944,500 kilowatt hours of energy since the engine's launch in 2007. If the transition from white to black is rough on the eyes, try thegreenspider.com, also powered by Google, which saves a bit less energy than Blackle but allows the user to chose from a variety of colorful alternatives to the white screen.

I gotta say, this is an easy way to help in a tiny way. Plus, I like the PINK background on thegreenspider.com. Try it out!

2 comments:

*Brittany* said...

Your blog is very PINK! Thanks for the earth day tip. Are you stoked for Arrested Development night??

Michelle @ Twig said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hello!